One of the hottest trends these days is the topic of rent to own homes. Why? With so many consumers fighting bad credit and recovering from the housing crisis of 2008, it has essentially become a win win situation for buyers, as well as sellers. It positively impacts buyers by allowing them to: rebuild credit, buy a home they could not otherwise afford, save money on a down payment, and much more. It helps sellers because it allows them to quickly move the property in circumstances where the house doesn’t easily sell. One of the greatest things about a rent to own home arrangement is the buyer doesn’t need perfect credit. So how do you go about finding these homes?
- Search Craigslist – Craigslist is still one of the top places online to find real estate for sale–especially rent to own homes. One thing that you have to be weary of when researching on CL is the huge amount of scams that run rampant on the site. Two scams that you need to watch out for are: a) the ad states a “too good to be true” rental price in a nice neighborhood. You reply with the best intentions and the “landlord” states you must check your credit report for free. b) Same as above, only scammers list phony housing opportunities (even houses that aren’t for rent or sale) and ask you to send payment up front. Despite these scams, there are still a wealth of rent to own listings available on the site. You can also create an ad stating you are looking for such an opportunity. Again, be weary of the scams you’ll encounter. Use your best judgement.
- Your Local Newspaper – Even though newspapers are being slowly phased out while everything moves digital, you can still find really great deals in the classifieds of your local newspapers. Many baby boomers still utilize this form of advertising and thus, its still a wonderful asset for research. Another plus is that the scams are less rampant on newspaper classifieds. So while you may not find as much volume of listings, the potential for scams is less likely.
- Put Signs Up In the Neighborhood You Want to Live In – As crazy as this sounds, it truly works. You can purchase cost effective, bright colored correplast signs with your message on it and display them all over town. Your message could state, “Rent to Own Home Wanted: Call, XXX-XXX-XXXX” It doesn’t need to be fancy. just needs to get the message across. One thing you need to be careful of when applying this strategy is your local ordinance laws. Depending on your city/county/town, this method could get you fined. Exercise your best judgement.
- Contact Realtors & Investors – Simple, yet very effective. The more realtors and investors you contact, the more opportunities you have of finding your dream rent to own home. Many listings aren’t even advertised through traditional channels. Why? Because highly networked realtors and investors already have a client list which they broadcast their deals to. They ultimately “sell” the deal as soon as they receive it. You too can get on this list just by contacting them and asking to be put on their list.
- Use an Online Rent To Own Homes Database – Possibly one of the quickest ways to find rent to own homes is to utilize an online database like that at HousingList.com. Their database is updated daily with the more homes than any other site currently on the web. If you want to reduce the chances of getting scammed, and you want to find a real opportunity, then we suggest giving HousingList.com a try.
Government grant scams have been an ongoing issue for a while. It seems that a new one pops up every day. In the case of the Cleveland BBB, they have issued a warning about a new grant scam–and apparently people are losing lots of money from it. In fact, the Cleveland BBB reported a woman last week lost several hundred dollars.
The woman who was swindled said she received a phone call from someone claiming to be from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. She was then told she was eligible for $10,000 in grant money given to families in need. The scammer on the other end of the line told her that all she needed to do in order to get this grant is pay $730 using Green Dot MoneyPak cards to cover processing fees.
After getting the cards and paying the $730, she was then told she needed to pay an additional $370 to cover state taxes! (Crazy, right?!)
After refusing to pay, she was told the $10,000 grant money would be frozen.
The BBB reports that even more people are falling for this scam. The government NEVER calls and awards grants in this manner, ever.
Here’s a tip: If the offer sounds to good to be true, it usually is. If you want to research real grants, then the best official place to do so is www.grants.gov. Bottom line? Avoid offers and purchases that require you to send the person money upfront. It’s just not worth it. And 99.9% of the time a scam.
Being a single mom is tough. You deserve a lot of credit for what you do. In fact, the reason you weren’t able to finish school or pursue a high degree is because you are trying to make ends meet for your family. Check out these 7 high paying jobs that single moms can do without a degree:
Being a sales person can really be the perfect job for a single mom that’s good at it. Why is this? Well, so many sales jobs are commission based. So that means if you are good at making sales, you can really make a good living. Consider being a saleswoman in the electronic, automobile, or makeup world. If it’s not for you, then you can say you at least tried.
- Social Media Marketer
Becoming a social media marketer is smart on so many levels. It’s well paying and it does not take a degree. There are a lot of free courses, blog posts, and resources you can use to learn even more about the social media world.
- Web Developer
Don’t forget that the world is becoming more and more tech. As a single mom, if you want to follow the money, then you should check into becoming a web developer. Web developers are the heart of the Internet and there seems to always be a place for someone who can build a website or do a mean website code.
Many people think of becoming a receptionist and think that it’s not high paying. This is so wrong. You have to look into the right receptionist jobs. If you can’t find a great receptionist job, then consider becoming a virtual assistant. You can become an assistant to people and businesses all over the world. It’s a win-win on all levels.
- Postal Worker
There is a lot of talk about the postal worker scene. However, the postal service is one of the longest standing entities in the United States. Although the hours are long as a postal worker, the money is good. It is also a job you can do without a college degree.
- Daycare Manager
If you want to stay at home with your kids and make a good living, then consider starting your own daycare. If you go through the correct certifications, you could attract the right families and make a good living. You can also seek a position as a daycare manager. There is good money to be made as you work your way up to the top of some of these daycares.
- Animal Control Worker
If you’re a single mom that loves animals, perhaps becoming an animal control worker is a career to get involved in. You would be investigating the mistreatment of animals. Does that sound like something you would love? Pay ranges depending on where you live, but most animal control careers start out at around 34,000.
Finding a job that pays high dollar without a degree can be a challenge, especially when you want to be there for your children. A great suggestion for getting a high paying job without a degree is to start your own business. With a great business plan and determination, you can have control over your career and still live a flexible life.
Do you have a high paying job without a degree? Please share!